Join us on our first ever Coral Explorer’s trip, and learn valuable coral conservation and ID skills while immersing yourself in the biodiverse waters of Raja Ampat, at the heart of the Coral Triangle!
Do you love diving and snorkelling? Do you love to immerse yourself into the vibrant world of coral reefs and all the life they hold? Are you fascinated by all the incredible diversity – from soft corals to sea-mounts and sea sponges to sea fans – and find yourself wondering more about the extra-ordinary worlds within?
If this is you, then join us at for our annual Coral Explorers trip, and give yourself the opportunity to learn more!
From July 2 – 12, 2017 we will be hosting an exclusive trip that will submerge you in a fully interactive learning experience that will enable you to discover more about coral reefs – the oceans life support system.
Over 10 days, participants will be lead through a series of dives and lectures by world leading coral experts including Russell Kelley; marine scientist, educator, film-maker and author, Dr Rachel Pears; Marine Park manager on the Great Barrier Reef with expertise in coral resilience, sustainable fisheries and reef surveys, and SEA Centre's marine biologist, Arnaud Brival.
The Coral Explorers trip will cover topics including:
1. Coral Reefs: where they come from, how they work and what the future holds
2. Corals and Coral Identification: how to ID the different major groupings, an overview of coral ID theory and how to take photos that make ID easy
3. Ocean Literacy: How to identify anything without being a marine biologist!
4. Coral Bleaching: the 2016 coral bleaching event on the Great Barrier Reef (why it happened and what it means)
5. Reef Restoration: an introduction to Raja Ampat SEA Centres “Yaf Keru” project. Why it’s important, and why it’s needed in Raja Ampat.
- Return transfer from Sorong to Papua Explorers Resort
- 10 nights dive package (4 air or nitrox dives per day, tanks and weights included)
- Day trip to Penemu Islands (including Melissa’s Garden – the most pristine coral gardens in the region)
- Accommodation (double, single or triple room) at Papua Explorers Resort
- 3 meals per day, morning and afternoon snack
- Evening presentations by marine biologists
- Scientific diving (x1 per day, most days)
- Raja Ampat SEA Centre t-shirt
- Coral Finder Kit
- International and/or domestic flights
- Marine park entry fee
- Dive gear rental (if needed)
- Alcoholic Beverages, Soft Drinks
- Diving & Travel Insurance
Day trips/excursions to Birds of Paradise, Batanta Waterfall, Wayag or any other excursion offered by the resort are charged at standard resort prices
By participating in this trip, you also be directly supporting our work with Raja Ampat. 15% of all Coral Explorers participation fees will go directly towards supporting our projects.
Join the Coral Explorers Raja Ampat trip and not only will you learn valuable skills that will enhance your diving and snorkelling experience, you will gain knowledge that will enable you to understand the ecological importance of coral reefs in marine systems, and how each and everyone of us is intrinsically linked to, and dependant upon, the coral reefs of the world.
CLICK HERE for more detailed information about Coral Explorers – Raja Ampat 2017, or contact email@example.com to book.
Many thanks to all who contributed the above photos, including: Cenk Ceylanoglou, Itaru Fujita and Timon Bogumil