Get Hands On, Get Involved, and Give Back while you dive. Join us for our annual Coral Explorers trip, and learn valuable coral ecology, conservation and ID skills while immersing yourself in the biodiverse waters of Raja Ampat, at the heart of the Coral Triangle.
Many people who love diving and snorkelling are looking for ways to be more active in conservation, education and research.. after all, who doesn't want to be more actively involved in protecting something they love? Coral Explorers is a trip is designed to connect people to nature, and immerse passionate people in the abundant waters of Raja Ampat - one of the most sought after dive locations on earth - whilst at the same time, being directly involved in conservation in the region.
From May 26th to June 5th 2019, Raja Ampat SEA Centre & Papua Explorers Resort will host this exclusive trip, where participants will be lead through a series of dives, presentations and workshops by marine scientists and world leading coral experts, and have hands on involvement in community based conservation projects.
CLICK HERE for more detailed information about or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book.
Over 10 days, participants will join leading coral experts including Russell Kelley; marine scientist, geologist, educator, film-maker and author, Dr Rachel Pears; Marine Park manager on the Great Barrier Reef and SEA Centre's marine biologist and field scientist, Arnaud Brival, in dives, presentations, workshops and fieldwork.
The Coral Explorers trip will cover a number of cover topics including:
- Coral Reef Ecology: How do reefs “work”, and why are they so important?
- The Origins of Raja Ampat: Where did Raja Ampat come from, how did it get here and where is it going?
- Why Are There So Many Species in Raja Ampat? Discover why Raja Ampat is the world’s epicenter of marine biodiversity
- Coral Threats: globally and locally
- Crown of Thorns Starfish: how these starfish can devastate reefs, Raja Ampats management program
- What IS That Thing? Learn to identify anything, from fish to tentacles, to shapes and holes, without being a marine biologist
- Reef Restoration, And Why We Need It In Raja Ampat
- Plant your own coral: Take part in some hands on reef restoration - plant your very own coral and contribute to a wider restoration effort
PLUS a range of other presentations and activities that will enhance increase your understanding, fascination and appreciation of the world’s coral reefs and the life it supports.
- Return transfer from Sorong to Papua Explorers Resort
- 10 nights dive package (4 air or nitrox dives per day, tanks and weights included)
- Day trip to Penemu Islands (including Melissa’s Garden – the most pristine coral gardens in the region)
- Accommodation (double, single or triple room) at Papua Explorers Resort
- 3 meals per day, morning and afternoon snack
- Evening presentations, workshops lead by marine biologists
- Scientific diving: monitoring, ID, transplantation (x1-2 per day, most days)
- Raja Ampat SEA Centre t-shirt
- Reef Finder Kit (to help you ID marine species whilst diving)
- International and/or domestic flights
- Marine park entry fee
- Dive gear rental (if needed)
- Alcoholic Beverages, Soft Drinks
- Diving & Travel Insurance
Day trips/excursions to Birds of Paradise, Batanta Waterfall, Wayag or any other excursion offered by the resort are charged at standard resort prices
By participating in this trip, in addition to hands on involvement in field projects, you will also be directly supporting conservation work within Raja Ampat. 15% of all Coral Explorers participation fees are donated directly to supporting the efforts of Raja Ampat SEA Centre
Join Coral Explorers 2019 in Raja Ampat, and not only will you learn valuable skills that will enhance your diving and snorkelling experience, you will gain knowledge that will enable you to understand the ecological importance of coral reefs in marine systems, and how each and everyone of us is intrinsically linked to, and dependant upon, the coral reefs of the world.
CLICK HERE for more detailed information about Coral Explorers 2019, or contact email@example.com to book.